My DAE colleague Rob Kissner and I are excited to moderate the BCW Power Breakfast Panel on Thursday, June 19th, 8:00 - 9:15 AM at the Crowne Plaza.
- Craig Patrick, Executive Director of Enrollment Strategies, Monroe College
- Abigail Adams, Regional Communications Officer, American Red Cross Metro NY North
- Kathy Gilwit, Director of Communications, City of New Rochelle
- Michael Murphy, New Project Development, Murphy Brothers Contracting
- Ric Swierat, Executive Director, Arc of Westchester
If you are an executive, business owner or marketing manager you'll appreciate this lively, informative and robust conversation about digital media best practices, challenges and solutions with our team of panelists who are using digital marketing strategies to benefit their organizations will provide insight, learning experiences, successes and concerns in order to give attendees a 360 degree view of this progressing marketing technique.
Register today >
Harquin Helps Teenagers and Young Adults Get Summer Jobs and Internships.
[ Back to News ]
May 29, 2012
Online Youth Job Programs Announced in Westchester and Putnam County
County Executive Robert P. Astorino on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 announced initiatives designed to help teenagers and young adults get summer jobs and internships.
"The best way to combat youth unemployment is by creating job opportunities," Astorino said. "These programs are designed to make it easier for businesses to connect with qualified teenagers and young adults."
Marsha Gordon, president of the council, said, "The Business Council of Westchester is pleased to be part of these initiatives, which create an environment for young people to grow their careers."
Fred Bruck, Partner at Harquin, adds, "Harquin has had the privilege of helping Westchester and Putnam Counties launch ground-breaking initiatives online that connect local businesses to local job-seekers. The websites we've built have the functionality to do that."
The programs are:
- The College Internship Program, a clearinghouse to match college students with businesses in Westchester and Putnam that are seeking interns. The clearinghouse will provide local college students internship opportunities with local businesses. Businesses may list paid and unpaid internship opportunities at a Web site that will soon be launched. The website is being designed and developed by Harquin Creative Group. Colleges and their students will be able to post resumes, review and apply for internship opportunities. These resumes will be screened by the program's coordinator. The program was created at the suggestion of the Business Council of Westchester's Coalition for Business Development and put in place by the Westchester-Putnam Workforce Investment Board's Career Connection Committee, which includes representatives of local higher education institutions, business and youth service organizations.
- The Private Sector Summer Jobs Initiative website, also designed and developed by Harquin, is designed to encourage local businesses to hire youth ages 18 to 24. Last year, 184 youth were hired by 50 businesses through this program, generating about $60,000 in salaries – and 25 of these youth landed permanent jobs when the summer ended. Businesses pay the salaries; there is no public subsidy. The program, in its third year, is a collaboration of the Westchester-Putnam Investment Board and the Business Council of Westchester. www.westchestersummerjobs.com. Among the businesses that participated last year were: Business of Your Business, Tarrytown House Estates, Candela Systems Corporation, Collins Brothers Movers, Eco Bags, Bilinguals, Inc., Best Web, and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.
- The Summer Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Employment Program, a summer jobs program for youth 14-20 from income-eligible families. The program, funded with state money, subsidizes the wages of the youth whose families are receiving pubic assistance or have family income under 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. A list of these agencies will be available at www.westchesterputnamonestop.com as soon as the state makes the funds available.
For the full article click here.
BACK TO TOP